Really, California news media? I mean, Mandela’s death is a story of national interest. And Charlize Theron must be a lovely person. But is she a world leader? Where does she lead us, exactly? In what capacity does she lead.
I mean seriously. Oy.
Charlize Theron is South African.
The ACLU mourns the death of Nelson Mandela, the revered international symbol of freedom who meant so much to people across the world, and who inspired us to be our best selves. Mandela fought against class and racial inequality, political corruption and the devastation of AIDS. He fought for everything we Americans hold dear. ‘We have waited too long for our freedom,’ he famously said. And his actions matched his words as he endured 27 years in prison for what he believed—that we are all equal regardless of our class or the color of our skin. Although it seems unthinkable to imagine a world without Nelson Mandela, we must. Our dedication to protecting freedoms for everyone—no matter what their race, gender, religion or whom they choose to love–is the precious legacy he has passed on to us.
On September 25, 1986, [Ronald Reagan] vetoed [a bill that would’ve imposed sanction on the apartheid government of South Africa]. But by this time the antiapartheid movement’s influence was so strong that even the president’s own party was embarrassed by Reagan’s refusal to stand up to South Africa. Indiana Republican Richard Lugar pleaded with Reagan to get ‘on the right side of history’ by supporting sanctions. Such Republican dissent helped make possible Congress’s overwhelming 78–21 vote to override Reagan’s veto in October 1986. This marked the first time in Reagan’s White House years that a presidential foreign policy veto had been overturned. The vote attested to how out of touch Reagan was with the struggle for racial justice, a struggle that the Free South Africa movement had helped to popularize in the United States.
This is why the Breitbart minions hate Mandela so much — Reagan, on the wrong side of history, was his opponent. Rather than admit that St. Ronnie sided with the wrong team, they continue repeat Reaganite pro-apartheid propaganda to this day.
Comment thread for Breitbart obit for Mandela devolves into racist hatefest pretty much immediately.
From the comment thread to Nelson Mandela’s obit at Breitbart.com:
- One less commie in this world.
- Will his estate still get royalties for the use of his image on boxes of rice?
- Another One Bites The Dust !
- Prepare to see whites fawn all over this man for the next few days.
- Nelson Mandela: Communist, Terrorist, Liar …
- I heard he had the AIDS…
- This guy was more zero than hero. South Africa use to be an advanced society and is still the only country to have ever given up nuclear weapons. They have been taking the farms from the white s and now the country can’t even feed itself. You should see the pictures I have from SA. They aren’t pretty and we’ll have the same thing here very soon. People will be living behind barb wire, electric fences, and have weapons always at the ready.
- Fawning, whining and gnashing of teeth from “white guilters” in 3…2…1…
- The Prawn of District 9 have lost their greatest advocate.
There’s much more, but you get the idea. If these are the sort of people who celebrate your passing, then you’ve lived a very good life.