Romney supporter took war with reality to a whole new level.
Buzzfeed: One trader lost at least $4 million betting on former presidential candidate Mitt Romney through Intrade, possibly to make it appear he was faring better against President Barack Obama in the waning days and hours of the 2012 election than he was.
That’s what a new study by Microsoft Research’s David Rothschild and Columbia University’s Rajiv Sethi suggests. The study, published earlier this month, analyzed Intrade transaction level data over the course of the final two weeks of the election cycle.
Rothschild and Sethi found that a single trader accounted for one-third of all bets made on Romney during the two week period of the study, which saw about 3.5 million contracts traded. The total election cycle had 7.6 million contracts traded.
The trader bet solely on Romney and constantly sold on Obama, losing about $4 million in the process.
I’ve been thinking off and on about how conservatives often confuse cause and effect. Most recently, the example that’s come up most often has been the argument that violent video games cause mass shootings. But wouldn’t the sort of person who’d commit that sort of crime be attracted to violent video games in the same way that someone who likes boobs enjoys porn? If video games were responsible for crime, there’d be one helluva lot more murderous loons out there shooting up crowds of people. It’s like saying chess is responsible for war.
But this… this is a whole ‘nother ballgame. This is magical thinking. The problem with doing this is the same problem you have with putting out deliberately biased polling; you can’t lie to people about what they think. People knew who they were going to vote for. If you tell them otherwise, how can you expect them to believe you? Polls do influence polls, but this is just some form of sympathetic magic.
I’m at a loss. All I can say is that Mr. Mystery here is probably someone who blew a chunk of their inheritance — because it’s so freakin’ obvious that they weren’t smart enough to earn that kind of money themselves.
104 Notes/ Hide
- alice44 likes this
- comix likes this
- lennora reblogged this from thishaileysays
- lennora likes this
- thishaileysays reblogged this from whovienneamericenne
- whovienneamericenne reblogged this from lies
- blacknetizen likes this
- femmeviva likes this
- thepandabaker reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- doctorcrazygirlchic reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- doctorcrazygirlchic likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from quickhits
- silas216 likes this
- apocalypticpasta reblogged this from curiosity-discoverer-of-worlds
- jsarevisited likes this
- humming-bird-moth reblogged this from dendroica
- humming-bird-moth likes this
- butchrosser likes this
- anonsally likes this
- stormbornfeminism reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- mickeylovesd likes this
- cannelledusoleil reblogged this from geekbap
- cannelledusoleil likes this
- thadiusmestopheles likes this
- jane-potter likes this
- flightofthelbd likes this
- jenn2d2 likes this
- erikonymous likes this
- mariakimjoonjiun likes this
- stringsdafistmcgee reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- lies reblogged this from dendroica and added:
- safno likes this
- abaldwin360 likes this
- unfilteredloving reblogged this from geekbap
- geekbap reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- geekbap likes this
- ourfamilyjewels reblogged this from dendroica
- coleopteragirl likes this
- bubushka111 likes this
- nightshade-ave likes this
- theuniversescreams likes this
- asfadedasmyjeans likes this
- errantobserver likes this
- brevetcaptain likes this
- redshift-13 likes this
- the-stairs-of-learning reblogged this from bombasticlanguage
- higgylikes likes this
- queermerooooar reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias