Putting it in Perspective: News Corp Gets More Than 60 Times the Federal Funding of Planned Parenthood (Corrected)
Check this out, from the New York Times in February (emphasis mine):
Almost unnoticed in the wars over the federal budget has been a pitched battle over money for Planned Parenthood, which provides contraception, medical services and abortions at 800 clinics around the country.
For the last several weeks, those on opposite sides of a sharp cultural divide have engaged in dueling rallies, virtual conferences, online petitions and phone banks as crucial Congressional votes drew near. At stake is more than $75 million that Planned Parenthood receives to provide family planning assistance to low-income women, money that its opponents say only frees up funds for abortions.
Now, from my previous post on what News Corp receives:
"News Corporation made over $10 billion in profits over the last four years. And their tax came to $4.8 billion, negative,” [Reuters news service columnist David Cay] Johnston says. “That is, they made $4.8 billion from tax refunds.”
One organization provides needed women’s health services, the other hacks the phones of dead kids, fallen soldiers, and victims of 9/11 — all while spreading propaganda through Fox News. In short, it provides service needed by no one.
And one gets $75 million from the feds, the other gets $4.8 billion.
I think we can all see which would be the wiser cut. It’s time to defund News Corp.
Update: My math sucks. 0.1 billion is 100 million, not 10 million. So News Corp gets about 64 times what PP gets. I’ve updated the headline accordingly.
Further update: Reuters has retracted the story about News Corp’s taxes. Explanation here.
66 Notes/ Hide
- nispell likes this
- silas216 reblogged this from sarahlee310
- silas216 likes this
- unspeakableshenanigans reblogged this from neverlandgeekery
- paperinthewind likes this
- memorymuseum likes this
- possessedbylight likes this
- vinylsticker reblogged this from reagan-was-a-horrible-president
- warholesque likes this
- neverlandgeekery reblogged this from quickhits
- rigel likes this
- californiapoliticking likes this
- nemophilablues likes this
- bookishfeminista likes this
- cheshire3000 likes this
- riverwaltz likes this
- mizoguchi likes this
- pearlfectchassi reblogged this from bluntlyblue
- otarsus likes this
- divineirony reblogged this from hairtrending and added:
- vistavisions reblogged this from quickhits
- vistavisions likes this
- truth-has-a-liberal-bias reblogged this from sarahlee310
- danholepond reblogged this from other-stuff
- hairtrending reblogged this from bluntlyblue
- hairtrending likes this
- sarahlee310 reblogged this from quickhits
- newcamelot reblogged this from bowiecadmium and added:
- theholyprepuce likes this
- tira-angevox reblogged this from bowiecadmium and added:
- reagan-was-a-horrible-president reblogged this from paxamericana
- tira-angevox likes this
- quoms-190514 reblogged this from continentalfuckfest
- thefoolthewildcardarcana reblogged this from sex-politics-society-me
- sex-politics-society-me likes this
- sex-politics-society-me reblogged this from quickhits
- saboma likes this
- sarahlee310 likes this
- missshirley likes this
- continentalfuckfest reblogged this from quickhits
- continentalfuckfest likes this
- quickhits posted this