Study shows fossil fuels, nukes unnecessary to provide the world with energy.
PhysOrg: New research has shown that it is possible and affordable for the world to achieve 100 percent renewable energy by 2030, if there is the political will to strive for this goal.
Achieving 100 percent renewable energy would mean the building of about four million 5 MW wind turbines, 1.7 billion 3 kW roof-mounted solar photovoltaic systems, and around 90,000 300 MW solar power plants.
Mark Delucchi, one of the authors of the report, which was published in the journal Energy Policy, said the researchers had aimed to show enough renewable energy is available and could be harnessed to meet demand indefinitely by 2030.
Delucchi and colleague Mark Jacobson left all fossil fuel sources of energy out of their calculations and concentrated only on wind, solar, waves and geothermal sources. Fossil fuels currently provide over 80 percent of the world’s energy supply. They also left out biomass, currently the most widely used renewable energy source, because of concerns about pollution and land-use issues. Their calculations also left out nuclear power generation, which currently supplies around six percent of the world’s electricity.
I wasn’t extremely surprised that we could get by without fossil fuels. What got my attention was that nuclear power was left out of the equation as well. A lot of people have been trying to paint nuclear as a necessary evil, saying we’d have to use “clean” nuclear power to reduce carbon emissions. This study proves them wrong.
Turns out we can power the whole planet without using energy from an industry that produces what may be the most dangerous toxic waste known to humanity. Good to know.
549 Notes/ Hide
- bitchspo-girls likes this
- cintatransportadora reblogged this from ancientdays
- asides-and-analecta reblogged this from climate-changing
- itsmikeiguess reblogged this from greenpeace-switzerland
- itsmikeiguess likes this
- morgendorffered likes this
- acupofearlgrey reblogged this from greenpeace-switzerland
- greenpeace-switzerland reblogged this from howtofixtheendoftheworld
- kwartz likes this
- hystoree likes this
- equisdomo likes this
- yosozz likes this
- mossgir-l likes this
- thegrizzlychadams likes this
- keepforchange likes this
- delirium-hits reblogged this from neyrra
- neyrra reblogged this from modern---man
- neyrra likes this
- recyclereusereduceonow reblogged this from quickhits
- edouardstenger reblogged this from climate-changing
- edouardstenger likes this
- acegeckers3d likes this
- olodumare likes this
- dreamseeding likes this
- wrap-me-in-your-marrow reblogged this from climate-changing
- theunwantedmisfit likes this
- modern---man reblogged this from climate-changing
- shihtzuman likes this
- thoughtlessarse reblogged this from climate-changing
- thoughtlessarse likes this
- libertado63 likes this
- oldparasitesingle likes this
- admiralpaco likes this
- jilli1205 reblogged this from climate-changing
- acupofearlgrey likes this
- some-places likes this
- climate-changing reblogged this from quickhits
- climate-changing likes this
- fatmargarita likes this
- dionysusof0 reblogged this from america-wakiewakie
- howtofixtheendoftheworld reblogged this from quickhits
- my-gay-agenda reblogged this from quickhits
- fajita likes this
- bematthe reblogged this from sociolab
- stewartfoster likes this
- notyrsweetheart reblogged this from sociolab
- wastinglittlemoments reblogged this from shegufta
- bootywarriorfolifecuh likes this
- lenguanegra likes this